Re: Spring Prep

To: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Subject: Re: Spring Prep
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:11:15 -0700
Ed,
Originally Saltair was a resort built mostly on pilings over the water on
the lake shore.  The lake level changes by several feet from year to year.
The main Saltair buildilng was quite a gingerbread palace type of thing.
They even had a light rail line running between Saltair and downtown Salt
Lake City ... used open air cars. People would go out to float in the lake
(you can't sink) and enjoy the dancing and midway.  Lots of the big bands
played there.  They had a wonderful, big, spring supported dance floor.
There was a roller coaster when I was a kid that was built with wood
supports ... it scared me good when I saw how much it flexed with the cars
going around the curves.  As with many of those grand places they had a
major fire that destroyed it all.  They rebuilt on a smaller scale and later
that burned too.  The present building is nothing as grand as the old
place.  They hold a lot of rock concerts out there.  It will hold around
4500 legally.
There is a gift shop inside. They have had the little 200 plus MPH Wee Eel
streamliner (British Ford supercharged engine, chain drive, injected,
alcohol fueled) on display for the last five years.  Eels Lohn of Eelco and
SEMA fame, and now Ansen Automotive, got into the 2 Club in that car.  The
building has changed hands and so has the gift shop so we think it will be
better to put the
little liner in the Salt Flats Garage in North Salt Lake.  Jim Williams,
(from Red Flame Catering who do the food on the salt), has a well maintained
collection of old cars there and would welcome the Wee Eel as part of the
display.  That way the enthusiasts who know about the place will see the
car.  Jim maintains it for that reason ... to show off the cars to
interested parties.  When you are in town we can arrange for a visit.
Wes
----------
> From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
> To: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
> Subject: Re: Spring Prep
> Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:36:46 -0700
>
>Hey Wes,
> I've seen pictures of Saltair, what is it? A museum?
>Ed
>

>Wester S Potter wrote:
>
>> Yeah...
>> But just think.  Here in Salt Lake we have March Madness a mile North,
>> Legends ski racing 27 miles East, loaded golf courses a mile South or
East
>> and a flooded salt flats 120 miles West.  Then there's the Autorama
coming
>> up in three weeks ( and we still need to get the Wee Eel out of the
Saltair
>> building and put the scoops on ),  Pumping onto the salt ends in six and
the
>> lawn needs attention now for crabgrass and aeriating and the aspen trees
>> need their annual spraying for borers.  Priorities ... priorities ... how
>> much will keep the wife happy?  And how much more skiing can I get in
before
>> it turns to crap up there?  This week was perfect.  They will show the
>> Legends ski races on CBS next Sunday, 26th, at noon Eastern time.  Anyone
>> interested in the oldest racer in the group (Stein Eriksen at 72) and how
he
>> did against the youngsters?  Talk about geezers!
>> Wes
>> ----------
>> > From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
>> > To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
>> > Subject: Spring Prep
>> > Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:09:27 -0600
>> >
>> >What a wonderful day in the shop... Hanging out playing with stuff...
>> >Cleaning up the Rust.... Getting the Motor Parts ready to go back
>> >together... ( Back up Motor got Bored this week for it's new Wiseco
Pistons
>> >and the Crower Billet steel Rods also Gained a couple of Inches due to
some
>> >over Heating at Bville )
>> >
>> >Getting Rid of those Dag gum Screws I installed on the Moon Disc's....
(now
>> >there was an exercise..) Installed Duez fasteners... Neat deal once you
>> >figure out how to Make the Jig.... ( reminded me of Hot Rodding )..
>> >
>> >Tomarrow I swap back over To the Maxton Gear and check out all the brake
>> >system.... and Lube everything that I cleaned off washing it...
>> >
>> >All and All A nice Spring Day.... WOW I been waiting for one of these...
>> >
>> >Keith ( yeah I am doing the Last Minute Motor rebuild cause I was to
lazy
>> >take the headers off and do the compression check at the end of the
season
>> )

Time,

>> the