Re: Hey Darrel... Doug

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hey Darrel... Doug
From: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:59:33 -0400
hey guys, just finished a new tooltray and valvetrain organizer that sits
on top of the motor during teardowns, and added port nozzles in the
manifold, right now darrell is installing a new keith black gear drive and
re-degreeing the cam, we werent a big fan of the engineering on our pete
jackson unit so we tossed it, also installing a new RCD cam driven pump
drive and offset mag drive so that now the mag is sticking out the front of
the motor now . were also stepping up to a MSD pro mag 12 and keeping our
mallory mag as a spare. were a little concerned about internal heat
generation in the new mag because of its high amperage on a long duration
run at the salt vice drags. talked to MSD tech and they said its borderline
for a 12, but should be ok. in the meantime were considering a carbon
dioxide fire extinguisher style purge on the mag in case it runs too hot,
and keep the resistance down for a hotter spark. trying to locate chauvin
emmons' number so i can ask what mag setup hes running on his nitro motor
and how much internal heating he gets (if anyone has it handy - thanks
!!!). were also upgrading to a third fire bottle for a total of 21 lbs of
cold fire on board. im flying out to thrash with darrell on friday and
investigate fabbing up some new carbon fiber front wheel wells and also fab
a second backup spoiler if we run in altered class to meet the new year
2000 rulechange- . also looking into switching the front coil springs to
adjustable coil over units. also we'll be melting some lead this weekend
for more ballast, and installing a fresh lexan windshield and some
additional graphics, and taking some measurements to modify our backup oil
pan .  got our fingers crossed for bonneville AND a possible late summer
blast at maxton with some 2.86-ish gears depending on the usual work/
vacation/ family/ and financial situation- see you at the salt in a little
over 100 days- take care all, trash like mad-        doug @ black radon
engineering