more virus stuff

To: kw@cimsoft.com, wjkelley@att.net, b_miller@pacbell.net,
Subject: more virus stuff
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:47:34 -0600
Hi
The following info is from the usatoday, It shows that this virus is
mutating.  It is important to remember that because this virus mails itself
to everyone in the address book of an infected computer, that if you
recieve it it will appear to have come from someone you are used to
recieving clean email from.  I would go so far as to suggest that one not
open any attachments from anyone with out calling them first to see if they
really sent me something.  I think that in a few days this viruscrap will
subside,  but for now be extra cautious about ANY attachments.

Just as public and private sector
                   e-mail users are licking their wounds
                   from Thursday's "love bug"
                   computer virus attack, new
                   variations of the cyber pest are
                   making the rounds. One, which
                   carries an e-mail attachment labeled
                   "Very Funny," is anything but. The
                   virus is activated by opening the
                   attachment. Another, which arrives
                   with "Mothers Day" in the subject
                   line, tells recipients the sender has
                   just received an order for $392
                   worth of diamonds for delivery on
                   Mother's Day, and instructs them to
                   download the attached bill.
                   Launching the "bill" triggers the
                   virus. Security experts are
                   scrambling to keep up with the new
                   versions, which in many cases are
                   slipping past anti-virus software.
                   The FBI says it's investigating the
                   origins of the virus, which was first
                   spread in e-mail messages titled ''ILOVEYOU.'' The U.S.
Computer security
                   company ICSA.net estimated that damages from the virus
could amount to as
                   much as $1 billion, triple the amount caused by last
year's Melissa virus.
Dan

daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu

Daniel Wright