Silver State race

To: land-speed list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Silver State race
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 22:49:44 -0700
List,
Saw Ed Van Scoy today, at 150 mph.  Waved at him and got some good action
photos ...  I hope.  He sure sounded good going by mile 4.1 of the race.
The car was smooth, healthy sounding and ... you never know until you get
the list of speeds if he even made it the 90 miles to Hiko.  Ed was all
smiles when I found him at the drivers meeting last Saturday night in Ely.
Fancy white with black and red checkerboard trim shirts on a big group of
Corvette drivers.  They had 235 listed entries for the race, not all made it
onto the course and a few didn't make it to the other end for various
reasons.
The Silver State Challenge has a web site, www.silverstatechallenge.com I
think it is.  I've logged on and received information via E-mail from the
organizers.  They seem to call the May race the Nevada Open Road Challenge,
the September 17 one, the Sunday before World of Speed, is the Silver State
apparently.  Never have made that one, always too busy.
I took pictures, may even get some posted if I work it right.  Thank
goodness for rapid advance film mechanisms and shutters that recycle
quickly.  I'll find out tomorrow how good I was today.  I had a video camera
out near the course and ran back and forth from behind the gate we were
"guarding" so no livestock managed to get through onto the road to the
camera which was mounted too close to the road for the safety people to want
it there.  I'm no videographer however and the tape shows it.  Maybe it will
be better next year if I keep learning.
Wes