Re: LSR list -- rear steer

To: Nt788@aol.com
Subject: Re: LSR list -- rear steer
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:04:25 -0500
Howdy,
         I have thought of one wheel steering, but felt that there would be
too little input , especially since the steered wheel would be only 28
inches or so center to center distance apart, and the non steered wheel
would drag/skid.
         Although now that I rethink it, maybe that would not such a bad
idea, if the rear wheels are staggered, and the front wheel of the two does
NOT steer, a braking force would act upon the tail of the vehicle, helping
to maintain directional stability, and possibly slowing the drivers inputs
to below the 1 Hz feedback threshold...now if the forwards non steering
wheel is on the left side of the vehicle, and the steered wheel is28 inches
behind and offset 8 inches to the right of it, which direction will the
vehicle have a more aggressive turn, left or right?

At 02:15 PM 6/2/00 , you wrote:
>By oversteer I mean-- example turning right the rear wheels turn left
>swinging the "car' more to the left, hence oversteer, (by my terms) Build a
>model to study.Your stagger rational (stability) sounds good. One low speed
>problem was "it' tipped outwards in a turn, like a bike,with no body english
>to correct.At 150mph it was very stable(front steer car poliwog) Consider
>steering one wheel?

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316