FYI - Breedlove

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FYI - Breedlove
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:21:49 -0700
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) -- Craig
                 Breedlove will try to become the fastest
                 man on wheels again next summer.

                 Breedlove, 63, of Rio Vista, Calif., said
                 he's seeking Bureau of Land Management
                 approval to try for the world land speed record
in June or
                 July 2001 on the Black Rock Desert, 120 miles
north of
                 Reno.

                 Breedlove, who last raced his “Spirit of
America” there in
                 1997, said it probably would be his last chance
to reclaim
                 the record for the United States.

                 “We've made some changes since last time ... and
I believe
                 we can do it,” he told the Nevada Appeal during
an
                 appearance here Saturday.

                 Breedlove has held five land speed records since
1962 and
                 was the first person to reach 400, 500 and 600
mph on land.

                 But the world mark has been in British hands
since October
                 1983, when Richard Noble streaked across the
desert at
                 633.47 mph.

                 In 1997, Noble protege Andy Green roared across
the
                 desert to a world record of 763.035 mph - the
first person
                 to officially break the sound barrier on land.

                 Under race rules, Breedlove would have to exceed
that by
                 7.66 mph to reclaim the world record. “But our
goal is 800
                 (mph),” he said.

                 Breedlove, who struggled to reach a peak speed
of 636 mph
                 in 1997, said Spirit of America has been
re-engineered and
                 rebuilt but the next run still needs to be
financed.

                 “We're in negotiations with a potential major
co-sponsor
                 and may know in a few weeks,” he said. “I'm
pretty
                 confident we'll be able to go back to the Black
Rock next
                 summer.”

                 While he plans to be behind the wheel of Spirit
of America
                 next year, Breedlove is considering recruiting
and training a
                 back-up driver.

                 “You know, I applied for my Social Security not
too long
                 ago. I had rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder
in December
                 and it takes a year to recover from that,” he
said.

                 “I want and expect to be in the driver's seat.
But the
                 important thing is the record, and who's driving
Spirit of
                 America at the time isn't important except maybe
to my
                 ego.”