Re: Black Rock

To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: Black Rock
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:06:00 -0700
mayf,
Better wait until someone decides to actually run there, gets a permit,
jumps through the environmentalists hoops and kisses the appropriate
corporate sponsors behinds.  Then they have to have their permits approved
by the environmentalists before the BLM can issue them ( a little thing that
our Secretary of the Interior has recently instituted to get them off his
back).  You and I may not live that long.
The annual "Burning Man" encampment held by the hippies, bikers, UFO
watchers, nudists, hangers-on and the rest, on Black Rock is in danger of
being cancelled because of the environmentalists and their concerns about
such a "fragile" place.  If mud flats in the bottom of a natural basin can
be considered fragile ...
Read a book a while back on earthquakes in California.  The author had a
grandfather who was a '49er.  He was the elected leader of a band of
travellers who got stuck on the Black Rock Desert during the wet season.
They left him for dead, robbed him of all his gear and went on to the
Sierras in California ... within distant sight of where he was.  He
recovered and made it to the gold fields, didn't get rich and soon went back
to his family on the East coast.
My point is that Black Rock was the final straw that broke the backs of many
'49ers.  After the hardships of crossing the continent, becoming mired in
the goo on Black Rock Desert sucked out the last of their fervor and sent
them on as broken men.  A bright few profited by returning during drier
times and reclaiming the baggage they found abandoned and selling it,
sometimes to the original owners, in the gold camps at greatly inflated
prices.
Wes