Re: Murphy's law, and Boogie Woogie's malady....THANKS Fellas!

To: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Murphy's law, and Boogie Woogie's malady....THANKS Fellas!
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:22:02 -0700
Doug,

What you are doing with the voltmeter is reading the voltage difference
between two points. In other words how much voltage is used up to
overcome the resistance in the circuit. Kind of like reading the water
pressure at each end of a garden hose. If you hook the voltmeter to the
battery, (positive lead to positive post and negative lead to negative
post), it will read battery voltage, roughly 12.6 volts with no load,
could be higher if the engine was just shut down because the charging
system is set to produce 13.5 to over 14 volts. With the voltmeter still
connected to the battery  the reading while cranking will be
approximately 10 to 10.5 volts on a good system. That is how much
voltage the battery can produce with the starter operating. The reading
is also the voltage drop through the entire circuit.

By moving the negative lead back toward the positive side of the
circuit, from battery negative to the engine block, to the starter, to
the positive connection on the starter, to the battery post on the
solenoid, etc. a step at a time. With each move, part of the circuit is
eliminated from the voltmeter's reading and the voltage reading will be
reduced with each step back toward the positive post. Of course, the
biggest change will come when the lead moves to the positive side of the
starter, because the starter motor is eliminated from the reading.

I don't know how much you understand about electrical circuits, so I
have used lots of words to explain. The basic message is, to measure
voltage of a circuit the meter is connected in parallel, positive to
positive and negative to negative. An ammeter is hook up in series,
inside the circuit, all current used is passed through the meter (unless
an amp clamp is used, which measures amperage by sensing the magnetic
field created around the circuit as current passes through). Volt drop
is measured by connecting to the source and moving the other lead down
the same side of the circuit, further and further from the source.

If I could draw pictures with this thang it would be lots simpler to
explain. You really can;t hurt the voltmeter though unless you try to
run current through it.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC