Re: Loss of Yet Another Fellow Racer

To: <BICWIG@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Loss of Yet Another Fellow Racer
From: "fowlkesone" <fowlkesone@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:41:10 -0500
    I had the pleasure in May of 1997 to join Bill for a weekend of racing
at Maxton.  He spoke so highly of everyone at the track and considered the
racers and volunteers an extension of his own family, and though I heard him
speak of the ECTA with such passion, it wasn't until I was there, that I
understood the meaning behind his words.
    Unfortunately, we were never able to coordinate a trip to another race.
(we actually showed up the weekend after in March of '98...he never was good
with scheduling!)  But I know he will be present in spirit with all of you
every time you run the track.
    I want to leave you with a few words Bill and I put down after the May
race.  He wanted to write a song that expresssed the meaning of Maxton and
the ECTA, but we never finished it.  I invite all of you to add your
thoughts in his honor.

The Best Thing You Can Do

The sun beats down on a cloudless day
As the cars roll onto the track.
You hear the wind calling out your name
Saying "Let it run...don't look back!"

The best thing you can do is give in to desire
Start it up, belt it down, feel the fire.
You feel the need, the force of speed
Hauling it down to the wire.
It's the best thing you can do!

See ya at the track!