RE: Explain the rules to me again

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Explain the rules to me again
From: "Smith, Simon-Pierre" <Simon-Pierre.Smith@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:47:45 -0700
We're HOPING to.
The momentum on this project has really taken a leap.  There's no technical
problem half so hard as getting 5 or 6 people to work together.  We've done our
suspension test runs with a cobbed together frame and no aerodnamic fairing.
Now we've stripped that down and are putting the real rig together.

The roll cage is done.  I've sent photos to the president of the Gear grinders
(Webb?) and also Carl Dreher, a tiddler nut I found on this list.  Hopefully
they'll spot any really bad tech errors before we travel a long ways.
How DO you get a shifter rod through a firewall?

The body is all done as well.  I just got the windshield from the plastics guy
(SPEKTR products -- plug, plug).  All it needs is some router work on the
canopy.

The task now is to assemble all the little systems and make them function in a
sanitary fashion.  Fire bottle, chute, skids, shifter, cable release, canopy
latch etc.  I'm hoping to use my right hand for only throttle, brake steer.  My
left hand will be busy at times.  Most of these systems exist in some form,
they just need clean-up.

Also need to mount the gauges where there's no room.  Funny how on a 140 MPH
roadrace bike I can check the tach and temp just a second before maximum
braking but on a 40 MPH test run on a moped I can barely remember to check
exhaust O2.

The engine is still soft but at least runs reliably and controllably.  There's
plenty left in it.  I need to get the chassis rigged before I can mount it on
the dyno for more testing.  Even if we won't go fast we'll bring it out as soon
as ready/safe so we can test on something longer than a drag strip.

Sept 17 -- probably not, but anytime after that is possible.

Simon-Pierre Smith