My two cents

To: "land-speedautox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: My two cents
From: "Beverly Stanley" <beverlycst@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:23:38 -0700
I've not said much about the new "Nostalgia" category because we (me 'n
Paul) won't be able to take advantage of it - Paul's part of the modified
sports gang, I have a little "furrin" car - and the next project is special
construction - but, I would like to say that I don't think anybody is going
to get an "easy record" if the new category is approved (and let's not
forget that no matter which way our vote goes, it's still got to be
approved by the SCTA Board - they pay attention to us but arent't ruled by
us).

If the Board approved the new category, then there are about 10 racers,
that I know of personally, who will be able to race for a record instead of
just for "fun". The people I know of are all Studebaker owners, so I tend
to think we should cut the category off at about '73 or '74 rather than '81
- but Dan knows a lot more about the different body styles than I do, so
I'll trust his judgement.

Now the folks I know, like Joe Gialich, compete pretty regularly at the dry
lakes - but Joe knows he's not competitive so he runs just to maintain his
SCTA club membership and to help his club's overall points standings - he
sure doesn't expect to set a record.

But - if he thought a record was within reach, maybe he, and other people
like him, would spend the bucks to update their cars and freshen those
motors and go for it! Isn't that more fun than just dragging it out every
other month for a quick run at El Mirage?

And as a spectator, I like to see the racer who's really trying to get a
record - none of them are easy - even the "open" records are a b--h!
Because you are competing against the salt, the weather and a lot of other
people like yourself!

So my vote is - go for it!

Bev (in Eagle Rock where both the dog and I are panting in the heat!)

--- Beverly Stanley
--- beverlycst@earthlink.net
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.