saving money????

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: saving money????
From: "Kim & Brad Johnson" <b091696@snowhill.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:33:18 -0500
Hey list,
     I've been out in the shop working on the Firebird.  I'm doing a 9" Ford
rear as an option to switch from Production to Gas Coupe with the
quick-change. Well, I should have guessed, when Joe Timney elected not to
use the 4-link brackets that I supplied, that they were junk.  I had him
send them back to me the other day. (He was probably grateful to get them
out of his shop!)  I bought this set up from a fly-by night guy that was a
vendor at a drag race.  So, I might have saved $75 over buying from one of
the several reputable suppliers.  (...not to mention buying it through Joe
at Delaware Chassis Works which probably would have made it the same money
for quality stuff!)  Seemed like a bargain at the time.  Of course, it just
took me 3 days, instead of one to use them on a 9" rear housing, because of
all the cutting, grinding, fitting, and in general reworking of these
"bargain parts".  Just relearning that old lesson that says, "There's a
reason why the  successful guys buy good stuff to start with".  (cheaper in
the long run)  Now I get to deal with the coil-overs that I bought from the
same guy.  Sure hope that takes three times as long as well!  Oh well, I
guess it's making me a better fabricator.  In racing, for the most
part......you get what you pay for.     Brad   (whining in L.A.)