FW: Gas over there

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Gas over there
From: "Parks, David" <David.Parks@lfr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:25:53 -0700
A little perspective as we suffer through high gas prices...

>From a Roadster guy in England...

Yes, we're having some fun over here.

Currently the tax on fuel, coupled with the low production by OPEC has sent
prices to 85p ($1.30?) per LITRE. We currently have (friendly) blockades by
truckers/farmers/taxidrivers etc of around 2/3 of all oil terminals in the
UK. 70% of gas stations are out of fuel, esp unleaded- those that have
unleaded fuel have dangerous tailbacks onto motorways etc. We now have panic
buying of food and other essentials, and some gas stations are now charging
£1.99 and even £2.20 per LITRE!! I would die for $2.03 per gallon!!

Roadster Content - Although my 260Z daily driver runs on unleaded, my
roadsters (like many other 'classics' over here) run on Lead Replacement
Petrol, and today I drove to work in my 2000 - A great sight at the gas
station awaited - at a nearly empty forecourt (they'd run out of unleaded)
I filled up with LRP alongside a beautiful Jag XK120 Roadster. Whilst I was
pulling out of the station a concours gold 1940s Triumph 1800 Roadster
pulled
in - this is perhaps not typical of the state of affairs but this 'crisis'
has sure brought out some nice machinery which we may not otherwise see on
our roads.

We await to see what tomorrow brings but in the meantime the Government are
not bending - shame.

Rob