the So Al Special

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: the So Al Special
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:29:16 -0500
Doug asked me to make a quick diary of what actually transpired prior to the
world of Speed and what I did each Day.... It was easy to get lost in the
Maylay...

Spent the first two weeks after Speedweek redoing a bunch of stuff on the
car...
Got the Rodeck Motor on Monday and needed to be on my way to El Mirage on
Thrusday.... stuck it in the car on Tuesday after building a bunch of
special Stuff to include several failed attempts at Junk Lines for the
Heads...Then got the opportunity to start it finally after tons of Header
Problems and so on and so forth.and one oil restrictor that was completely
undrilled..... got it running on Wed... with a Major effort on Thrusday ...
Took the Time to really run it in ...on Thursday afternoon I blipped the
Throttle a couple of times prior to shutting it off and running over to the
Dyno.... and the Oil Pressure went to Hell...... Friday afternoon I had run
all the tests I could to determine what caused the Problem.... The Main and
Rod Bearing's were full of Trash.... Had I got it running Thrusday and had
no Problems I still could have made El Mirage.... Friday the option no
longer exsisted until November...

Realized that My opportunity to run the WOS lay in the Old D Motor and Ross
just happened to send the set of new pistons on Friday... well... Saturday
my motor guy stuck them in the Old D Motor I ran at Speedweek and Balanced
the whole deal to boot....

Sunday I ran it in and stuck it in a Trailer.... ran over to Perry Oklahoma
and picked up ole Blue hair and got to Bonneville Tuesday Morning

the Motor we ran was the Cast Iron Head Stock Block 298 cubic inch D Motor
with a New Fuel system I had installed since speedweek as well as a New
Package shelf that I had built....

The Biggest difference in speed was a quality set of pistons and the New
Barry Grant Demon Carb and Super High Flow Fuel system with Bypassing
Regulators mounted after the using components... ( Hey did I mention Dave
really Got Barry Grant off the Dime on this one... and They Pulled Through
with Flying colors)

We also installed a Nitrogen System which maintains Nitrous Oxide Pressures
at a Given Pressure throughout the run....  Though it was not installed on
the 228 pass as we were saving our last Bottle for the Return run if I set a
Record....

Awesome event and honestly a quality effort on everyones part... especially
Dave's... It's amazing to me just to look back on a Month's worth of work
that about Killed me.... living on 3 hours sleep many a night and living
with hands that were raw from the work and braided steel lines....  I don't
think I have ever been as happy in my life to end up at the World of speed
looking at a pass in the 226 range and an opportunity to run for the
record.... I actually felt like a real racer for a couple of minutes
there....

Keith