My WOS adventure Part 2

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: My WOS adventure Part 2
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:06:13 -0400
List

WOS adventure, Part 2

OK, its now Thursday and we have another D/GCC record under our belt. Time
for my nitrous ride in D/FCC. Hook up the bottle and go right?...wrong. The
first run netted us 1,600 degrees on the EGT and a turn out at the 1/4  with
a 198 MPH time slip. Hmmm...Joe ran a 208 MPH 1/4 speed NA...so what's up
here. Back in the pits we make some adjustments and try again. Even worse
189 MPH in the middle mile...did the engine go away? Didn't think we hurt
anything...plugs look good. Been following Dave Dahlgrens recommendations
(who was kind enough to pass on his knowledge).

It's Friday, frustration sets in, throwing up our hands we retune back to NA
specks and gearing...lets see if we hurt this puppy or not. Nope, not hurt
as we comfortably run a 227 MPH pass. Guess we better pay a little closer
attention to Uncle Dave's pearls. So we re-tune to Nitrous spec.'s and
gearing again, following Dave's plan, and a 100 HP hit, we roll off a 225
MPH run. 10 MPH shy of the record but at least were running over 200 MPH. OK
now were getting into this. Now upon further investigation, based on Dave's
urging, we discover we have the whole system wired wrong...followed the
directions I thought. Damn this thing needs a relay to power everything
correctly. Feeling very stupid now, but praise the Lord, Keith Turk has an
extra relay and harness. With Dave's help again we wire it in and get ready
for Saturday. By the way the Amo brothers have blown the side off their bike
motor by now and are offering extra nitrous and spare solenoids to help make
this thing happen.

Saturday, after return runs, we warm the bottles in the truck, charge the
battery...Dave wants a 200 HP hit I opt for a 125 and head to the line. New
plan this run...won't hit the nitrous until the 4 mile (had tested it at the
1/4 on the previous run and it dramatically upped the speed and carried the
speed through the first mile. Power dropped off in the last mile...weren't
sure why at the time). Anyway I start the run everything is working
perfectly...feels very strong, even with nitrous gearing...hit the button
entering the last mile...the tach jumps 500 RPM...WOW...did the math the
night before...that's 240+ MPH.

Talk about excitement...little did I know that the timing computer took a
nap and didn't spit out any time for that run, NOTHING. Maximum frustration.
Had to have been our qualifier. How many runs like that does this thing have
in it before its toast? Well nothing left to do but try again. OK, fill the
bottle and warm it, charge the battery check the plugs. Now the motor is
getting tired by this time...and I should have upped the nitrous at least 25
HP to compensate, (should have gone with Dave's 200 HP hit in the first
place), but I didn't think to do it. Dave recommends I hit the button a
little sooner...maybe 3.5 mile instead of 4 (another lesson to be learned
here soon).

In the mean time Adrenaline TV installs a camera in the car to record the
run, and follows along. Now the adrenaline is definitely flowing and not
cause I'm on TV. The pass feels good...I'm on the nitrous at the 3.5...tach
jumps...gains 400 RPM this time...still feels like a great run...feeling
confident we qualified I wave to the camera during shut down. Results...well
it was our best timed run ever for the Chevette...234.352 MPH, but .04 MPH
shy of the record. Disappointment to be sure. The course was closed..no more
runs for us, and Tom keeps his record, until next year.

An experienced racer once said "There ain't no easy records at Bonneville".
Hmmm I think he's right.

Goals for next year...well I really, really want the E/FCC record. Will have
the little
engine back together for Speed Week and with lessons learned this year I
believe we have a good shot at it.

John Beckett, LSR #79