ARNIE ON TURBINES - - - SECOND ATTEMPT

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: ARNIE ON TURBINES - - - SECOND ATTEMPT
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:53:31 EDT
Subj:    Re: Fwd: Turbonique
Date:   10/12/00 1:59:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:   squarerollbars@yahoo.com (a.b. shuman)
To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com

Bruce,

I went to the warbirdsparts site but didn't want to go thru all the bother
of registering. The P2V -- which I flew -- had two P&R 3350's with three
PRT's (power recovery turbines), each of which captured energy from the
exhaust of six cyls and fed it directly back into the crank via fluid
couplings. Each was supposed to feed in about 150-hp at max power (3700 hp
with ADI -- anti-detonate injection) at 59 inches of MAP.  We could also
take off without ADI and use 61.5 inches, but the power was down to about
3500 hp (at 2900 rpm).

Sometimes a seal would go on a PRT and you'd have to shut down the engine
and feather the prop (what we old salts called "caging the engine"), but it
made a dramatic sight with smoke and flame trailing from the nacelle (from
leaking engine oil igniting in the exhaust stream).
Each engine carried a mere 80 gals of oil.

Don't get me started.

Pappy Boingboing