Re: List Imput

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: List Imput
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:15:37 -0400
Since Keith wants some questions from lurkers, I have one about  fuel.

My current engine (Pinto) has been built at 17.5:1 CR to run gasoline (ERC
A8C) at Bville.  With that CR, I have great fear of running at sea level in
Michigan or Maxton with any gasoline, but plan on switching to methanol for
2001 season.
The question is, what power changes can I expect?  (I know....more) and how
should my thoughts change relative to timing advance and what starting
problems might occur.
My current EFI system is equiped with 4 80 PPH injectors and I will replace
with 4 160 pph injectors designed for methanol.  Fuel delivery system is all
designed for any fuel.  (all stainless or anodized).  Fuel supply is
sufficient at 3 bar pressure thru -12 hose and fittings.  (I was making
somewhere between 600 and 700 HP [measured 600 at wheels] with the turbo
motor and of course will use the same fuel delivery system.)
So the question is POWER...
Now, Keith, no words about laughing gas, I'm talkin about real fuel...

The second part of this question, what reduction in compression is necessary
to use NitroMethane in this proposed fuel.  I know the learning curve is
quite steep and do not plan on doing this for 2001, but my daddy was mixing
methanol and nitro back in the 30's with midgets (cars, not people) and I
sure wouldnt mind following in his footsteps...he is still my hero.

Gentlemen (and ladies) the floor is open  :=D

Rick Byrnes
We have enough youth...........How about a fountain of smart
www.rbmotorsports.com