Re: compression ratios & fuel

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: compression ratios & fuel
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:12:40 -0700
John,
I believe that the compression ratios that you speak of were in the
restrictor plate motors. I don't think a good breathing motor would live
with 19:1, or even 16:1 on Gasoline, but alky loves compression. As for
power on Alky over gasoline, I doubt that you will see even 10% gain, in
the same motor, when compared to racing gasoline. I did find on the dyno
though that alky delivers more torque at a lower RPM. My experience with
alcohol may not be realistic, however, because I never did find the
optimum timing to run. I am convinced that I was quite a bit short on
the curve. I am going to make a concentrated effort to find the right
setup on straight alky though. I know people that were running blown
alky motors with more advance than I ran.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC