Re: List Imput gas/fuel

To: "Wester S Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>, "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: List Imput gas/fuel
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:49:08 -0400
> I find it interesting that their fuel record is about twice the speed that
> Jim went ... 172.278 ... in your car.  I'd really like to see how fast
your
> engine would go in a slippery body like a lakester or a streamliner.
Fred went 258 with 54 less cubic inches than you are running.

Thanks Wes.  I think the HP difference will end up being around 10%, but I
also need to talk to Rick Gold about fuels and perhaps the availability of
oxygenated gasoline for use on the salt.  Since I already use charge air
cooling with Ice water, the cooling nature of alky may be less noticeable.
Running at sea level though will be possible.
I have been told by a reliable source that Roush has run as high as 19:1 CR,
but I believe that was restrictor plate motors with terrible cylinder
filling.  Conventional combustion sealing just won't do it for sea level
standard day and high compression.  My turbo motor uses a high pressure gas
filled "O" rings for combustion sealing, but I am not prepared to do that
with the N/A motor (yet).  It costs a $125 every time I pull the head.
Lucky there is just one.

I agree with you about this engine as well as the turbo motor in a liner.
Thats why I'm interested in a long term plan of lakester/liner.  Fred's run
is a good indicator of what some good aero can do.  I think he was making a
"ton" of power out of half a cheby but I think there is more than 258
potential.  I hope to be able to experience speeds at 250 +.  I'm not sure
that Jims wife will be too happy if I leave him in the drivers chair for
those kind of runs so I just might have to take over again.  OH DAMN.....

We did hurt the engine a little on the very last pass of the meet.  Jim saw
the oil light blink in the three.  He lifted and shut down, and saved the
motor.  The oil pump belt was toothless.  (crew chiefs fault).  It runs with
no noises, but gets tight when warm.  The motor will come out next week, and
I expect to see some scarfed bearings and maybe a little hurt to my super
fuchimanooli billet crank.  The point is though Jim is becoming a real
pilot.  His reactions were correct and immediate.   I will be testing on
chassis dyno with methanol in March and hope to have a calibration dialed in
by mid April.

Cheers

Rick Byrnes
We have a enough youth....how about a world of smart.