Spindles

To: "Doug King" <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>
Subject: Spindles
From: "Glenn Neimeyer" <gneimeyer@apex2000.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 02:11:23 -0500
Doug,
  Thanks for the reply to my brother about front end parts. You seem to
indicate Anglia spindles are 'light duty'. How do spindles from a VW bus (I
believe the bus was rated one ton) or the Bug compare with the Anglia? Also,
the rule book, sect. II-7 page 17 (top) seems to indicate that all wheels
need five studs. The official program for this years Speed Week shows a VW
(admittedly an advance entry and a slower current record than we are going
for) very clearly with four studs front and rear. Don't want to start an
argument but I am a little confused. Do you think we could build a
liner/lakester with VW front end parts, including steering gear? How
heavy/big an engine would be acceptable with these parts? Last (for now),
heim joints seem to be the fitting of choice for 'professional'
suspension/steering linkage. Is there a problem with ball joints in 'liners?
I've learned a lot reading from this list and have a great deal of respect
for the years of experience it represents. Thanks for being an excellent
resource.
  Glenn in West Texas (where it finally started raining)