Maxton experience

To: kturk@ala.net, speedtimer@earthlink.net
Subject: Maxton experience
From: BICWIG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:57:39 EST
OK List, Here Goes!
I had so much fun this past weekend that I must share it.  First and
foremost, this was the first meet I have attended in some time and I really
missed all of the people.  Just getting together with everyone was great.
Now on to the action.  I rolled the car off the trailer and began checking
tire pressures and lug torque (you never know).  Then it's off to the drivers
meeting where I could have sworn I saw Keith Turk attack an innocent bear.
Maybe it was too early, I don't know.  Anyway, my wife Lori had to go through
the rookie orientation and made me go with her.  By the time we are done with
that, I'm really chomping at the bit.  This new 4 link should work, but who
knows.  Go to the line,  get ready and what do you know, it's time to go.
Ease on the gas in first - go to 6000.  Feels good, shift.  Go to 6000 -
feels better, shift.  Get into 3rd and it just keeps getting better.  Put it
on the mat and let it all hang out.  Car went straight with no problems.
Went through at 143.  Now it's Lori's turn.  Don't know who is more nervous,
me or her.  Get to the line and had to wait for a spin clean up.  Didn't do
much for either of us.  Finally she gets the go.  Launches the car like an
old pro.  I hear first, then second but no third.  I must have missed it so
we head down to pick her up.  Found Mike and Clem pushing her off the track.
Told her to go through the lights at 5200.  She went through at 5150 but in
2nd gear.  She was crushed.  Went back to the pits to let Tom Sarda run the
car.  I forgot Lori and I have longer legs than Tom.  At the line he was to
say the least slow for the first 100 feet or so.  Then it came to life.
Seems he had to stretch to get the pedal to the floor but once he got it
here, it stayed.  He went 145.  Oh no, he went faster than me.  Can't have
that.  Had to break to go run a Pro Cup race, back on Sunday.  First run felt
good - 156.  Second was Lori's turn at 113.  We were both thrilled.  Then I
ran a couple more passes with a best of 158.  Got to love it.  Thanks again
to all of the volunteers who helped out.  Oh, by the way.  On the 158 run I
was not comfortable with making the first turnout.  No problem.  Went long
with no sweat.  Guys, this ain't a drag strip with a gravel pit.  Many
people, myself included spent many hours preping the extended shutdown for us
to use.  Let's use it and stop trying to make the first one.  John Beckett
goes long every run and has no problems in his comp coupe.  Ok, Joe had a
problem but by looking at the chute deployment, I think going long was
unrelated.  Let's use our heads here.  We used the fire and rescue more this
weekend than we have since our beginning in Moultrie.  It's great that they
are there, but it's great not to use them too.  Ok, done long but true.  Hope
everyone had as good a time as we did.

Jim, Lori, Joe, Josh and Jazmin Bodenheimer
BICWIG Racing and we did the Best We Could with What We Had!

PS  I was just kidding about the bear, I know I saw it!!!