PAST and PRESENT OCCUPATIONS

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: PAST and PRESENT OCCUPATIONS
From: "The Backus's" <34ford@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:13:47 -0500
Did I open this can of worms? Ah, but it's a good can, thanks Keith for
running with it. Here's my humble life (compared to most of you). Married to
Bobbie (Miss Bobbie in Alabama) 18 years,59 years old. Working backwards, we
are "semi-retired", we own a sign business- one example of our work is on
the cover of Rod&Custom this month- Paul Beck's '32 coupe numbers. I was a
Safety Manager for Procter & Gamble Co. as well as a Machine Designer,
Facilities Manager and Project Engineer, worked there 33 years. Before that
I was a Tool&Die Maker in Cincinnati and L.A., I have also been a Part-Time
Police Officer until last week, over 25 years. My racing pursuits include
SCCA sports car racing in L.A. in the early 60's, semi-pro drag racing from
the late 60's to the mid 80's starting out with a big block Camaro gasser
and evolving to an A/Fuel big block Chev dragster that ran 7:00's at 200
(the CAR won the world finals in Dallas beating Freight Train) and finally a
BB/Funny car . About 5 years ago I was on the pit crew for 2 USAC midgets.
But I gotta say the most fun this ol' boy has had in a very long time was a
ride in the Williams/Timney/Beckett S-10 this year!!!   We ain't sure how we
are going to do it but we want to make just one run each year at the salt
until ???? I can't leave this until I thank all of you folks who served our
country in our armed forces, GOD Bless you!!

John Backus