November 200 MPH Club

To: <webmaster@landracing.com>, <bob.webb@trw.com>, <salt@ivic.net>
Subject: November 200 MPH Club
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:39:41 -0800
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
by  Dan Warner

The two day meet at El Mirage this month put a cap on the 2000 dry lakes
racing season. Three new members joined the club and the season champs for
car and motorcycle were decided, no long term recounts, or court orders were
needed.

Glenn Necessary drove the Brandenberg-Necessary D/BGMR to a new record of
205 and change on the 205 minimum. Glenn has been trying for this hat for
over a decade. I guess the minimum was set pretty close for this class.
Jim Howe is the new driver of the Emmons-Nickle-Childs C/FMR. Jim upped the
class record to 255.857 with this awesome, a lot of nitro is better than
some nitro KB powered roadster. Ardun Doug King ran the King$ Ran$om XXF/FMR
to a new record of 202.44 on Sunday. Doug had upped the class record to 188
on Saturday. Some overnight tuning and a new course helped Doug to his
second 2 club hat this year. These three join Jeff Carroll, Dave McCain, KC
Payne, Jack Kelly and Jim Miller as the newest members of the club.

Other club members made some significant records this meet. Club president
Pete Prentice drove the Mirage-Leggitt-Salkins entry to a 273+ record in
C/BFS. Pete will again be club president as our by laws state that the
fastest driver at El Mirage during the season will be come top dawg the next
year. Jack Costella ran his Nissan powered lawn dart to a 195.55 record in
the F/BGS class. New club member this year Dave McCain was in the McCain &
Houtz flathead lakester this meet. Dave recorded a 214.616 in the XF/BFL
entry. Mike Bauer drove the Bauer & Sons Racing A/FR entry to a new  class
standard of 216.467. This red '29 highboy is real nice car and Mike is one
of the younger guys we all hope will take this sport into the next century.
Earl Wooden is again running hard, setting two records in AA/FCC this meet.
Saturday had Earl running at 248 on a 245 he set earlier this year. Sunday
he upped that record to 249.349 to end a troubled season with his DRC motor.
Larry Lindsley ran the A/BFAlt class this meet. Larry set another record,
this time up to 258.472. This record cemented the championship for the
Lindsleys & Leggitt
crew. Larry's dad, Jim, was on hand to see the family effort succeed in this
years quest for number 1. I believe that this is Jim's third championship.
Jim has been involved with the SCTA/BNI since the 50s and has been one of
the leaders that made this sport as great as it is. Mark Johnson added 2 mph
to the C/BGAlt record, up to 211.510,  with his Donovon powered Camero. A
good season for Mark, and thanks for all his help in inspection, impound and
on the rules committee. In a hard fought battle for the championship the
John Rains Firebird came up a little short on points but, not on records.
This month Jeff Carroll drove the Indy pace car replica to a new record in
E/BGAlt at 227.729. Rich Manchen had the Rich Manchen Welding Alfa/Chevy
running great in B/BMS, setting the record up to 224.955. This put over 12
mph on the old record. Many, many thanks to Mike Manghelli, Paul Stanley and
Jim Miller for their help this season.

On the motorcycle side one name stands out this year. Rick Yacoucci, aka
Turbo Rick. What can you say about a guy who can set two records at six
meets, well he missed one - who among us can claim 11 records in one dry
lakes season? Rick ran his Suzuki Hayabusa in the 1650-APS-F class to a 214
record. Rick also used a Suzuki GSXR1100 in the 1350-APS-BF class to record
217.805. These two bikes have secured the motorcycle championship for Rick.

All in all a good season. Did any one notice that all three members into the
club this month were in Modified Roadsters, the number 1 & 2 cars are
Firebirds and the number 1 & 2 motorcycle finishers are Suzuki belonging to
the same racer?

Have a great off season, we hope to add you to our roster during the 2001
season.