Humbling Experience

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Humbling Experience
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:09:40 -0800 (PST)
I would like to say that putting together these
Racer Profiles for the list has become a very
humbling experience.  I'm just an old shade-tree
hot rodder, and I have relied on the people on
this list a lot to help me with building my car
and getting it on the track.

During the process of putting these Racer
Profiles together, reading the bios and putting
them with pictures of their cars, I find that
many of the "bench racers" who are chatting back
and forth with me about "how to mount moon
discs", "what gears to use", "why one axle is
better than another", "how to pick a good cam",
etc, etc, are the very "heros" I watch on my
videos every night. Some are even the same heros
I read about in the fifties and sixties when I
first got hooked on speed.  It truly is a great
sport when guys who are going 200, 300 and 400+
MPH take time to slow down and help somebody
whose tryng to get from 127 to 130!

In this month's issue of Rod and Custom, the last
line in the article about Bonneville says that if
you're a true hot rodder, you've got to take the
time to get there (Bonneville) "at least once
before you croak".  I'm thankful that I got
hooked up with you guys, and now I know I will
make it there "at least once gefore I croak"!
(Hopefully many, many times!)

To the greatest bunch of guys (and gals) I have
ever had the pleasure of knowing - - Ya'll have a
great turkey day - - see ya next week.

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *