Electric Vehicles & the SCTA

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric Vehicles & the SCTA
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:44:06 -0800
Hi,

Here's a question for you'all. Where can I find the rules the SCTA goes by
when inspecting 4-wheel electric lsr vehicles? I'm looking for the safety
requirements that are probably specific for EVs, things like battery
mounting, shielding and fusing, emergency electrical disconnects,
high-voltage wiring, and electric motor shielding.

I know people are running 4-wheeled EVs at Bonneville, and have run EVs at
El Mirage in the past, but my 2000 SCTA rulebook doesn't cover any of the
electric vehicle safety requirements. So, if somebody has that information
or knows who has been doing the technical inspection for electric cars, I'd
appreciate the info. Seems like the SCTA requirements for electric cars
might be a good starting point for defining the requirements for electric
bikes.

Henry Deaton
SF, CA