FW: OCCUPATIONS

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: OCCUPATIONS
From: "George Mitchell" <americanpartnerinrussia@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:00:13 -0200
Well I guess I better give my "thang". This is indeed a very interesting
thread. Its kinda cool to see where everyone is coming from.

Born and raised in Washington DC . Started racing minibikes and motorcycles
at about 8 or so. Learned how to take them apart and put them back together
out of necesity.Bought my first Dodge at 15. 340/4 speed car. Swaped a k
frame and went to a 440 in it before I had a license( or any sense , for
that matter ). State champion wrestler , went to college on a scholarship--
after two shoulder dislocations came back home to finish up at Howard
University. Met Bob Harris ( IHRA Prostock) and help him open his shop . He
became my mentor all through college. Taught me how to tig weld , build
manifolds , build complete cars . Most of all he taught me how to not fear
anything mechanical . Also taught me how to port heads -- its all I did --
all day -- for four years or so . Built a 9.0 sec drag bike -- raced that
for a while .
Got married and Moved to Austin TX ( thats where I met Skip H ) . It turns
out he used to live in DC area and knew Bob. Crazy small world . Had my own
shop there doing general mechanical and fabrication. Marriage over-- shop
over .
 Came back to DC to reinvent myself . Went to law school , got an Mba,
bought a house , went to the high tech industry (promised myself that I
wouldnt be just another lawyer). Spent about three years in St Petersburg
Russia working on privatization projects. Had a lot of fun.Drank a lot of
Vodka! Then 18 months at the World Bank working in and travelling to Poland
, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia. Had fun there too.1996 Olimpic trial finalist
in Greco Roman Wrestling.Way fun !!
 Built a 10.5 in tire race car-- odd combination-- 1968 dodge Polara, 496
inches , brodix heads ,2 stages of the "jug".
Built a crazy daily driver . 84 Volvo Wagon, 2770 cc (vs 2300),ported head ,
street cam, lowered ,big sway bars, 17 inch wheels and tires,4.10 gears ,
header , msd,and of course ,the "jug". Mustangs  just shut it off and wonder
how it happened ...
Currently building a 1978 Porsche 924 for MS class at maxton and the salt.
Car currently has a full tube frame, four link rear, is sitting right at 130
inch wb and I have a "mule" desoto hemi just about ready to go for maxton in
the spring. It will be there albeit unpainted. Also building a volvo motor
to go in the same car to run in MS/F.
Currently also a victim of the high tech world -- just lost my job on 5
minutes notice last week with about 100 others -- happy thanksgiving .
Ready to start my own show with some former collegues. Writing the business
plan and gathering resources together as we speak.
  I am about tired of working for people again so I guess it rebel without a
clue time again !!
 Thats my story and Im sticking to it .
 By the way , make fun of DC politics if you want to -- you all voted for
the clowns not me -- my vote doesnt even count !!!

George in DC