Re: World's Fastest Go-Cart

To: vsinatra@thegrid.net
Subject: Re: World's Fastest Go-Cart
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:06:20 -0800
Hello Victor
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. It's always good to see young
people with goals to go after. I don't want to disappoint you but the goal
you are seeking does not fit into the Bonneville land speed catagory  that
is part of the SCTA / BNI program. The association many years ago
disallowed the running of jet powered vehicles during our events. At
present time I know of no association that sanctions jet powered go carts.
Normally something of this nature is done on private time by hiring the
timers and all of the support personnel and any medical team. The BLM has
to be approached and a permit obtained for the area one plans to run on.

All of this requires a lot of support personnel to pull off such an
attempt. It is very costly for everything required, then on top of that
you are at the mercy of mother nature. Wind conditions are critical as is
course preparations. It requires a lot of people starting with location
and having the area surveyed, course markers and patrols to assure that
any spectators are away from the race course area.

The timing equipment and the minimum of two timers and set up time etc. is
only part of the program. Location, hotels , food, portable toilets,
radios and the list goes on. As you can see it gets very expensive up
front plus the building of the vehicle. If our association allowed this
type of vehicle to run just meeting the safety rules would take away any
idea that would resemble a go cart.

I am not trying to discourge you, but the concept will be very difficult
at best to achieve. The budget to do all of it would require sponsership
to meet all of the logistics for this endeavor. There are many other areas
of motorsports to look into as far as land speed racing. We are always
looking for new and young people to become involved as you are the ones to
carry on the next generations of our sport.

Victor, you didn't say where you lived so I cannot help you with anything
local to you. One thing I need to mention is all of our personnel are
pretty much scheduled a year in advance for anything we as an association
have sanctioned for our own meets.
To use USAC timing requires other support and manpower. If going for a
record under FIA then another high cost will be involved.

Please feel free to continue this conservation as the input from others on
the list will be eager to assist you with any questions.

Glen Barrett
Chief Timer SCTA / BNI