French Flathead

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: French Flathead
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 07:49:11 -0800
List,

A recent thread(re-thread) began about the Ford/Simca flathead. I have a
letter from Roy Creel, chair of the Vintage Committee for the SCTA,
concerning the subject. Because we are unable to post attachments I will
reproduce the letter in it's entirety here:

12-4-00

Dear Interested Party,

Regarding the use of the "French" flathead in the XF and XXF classes at SCTA
and BNI events.

On 12-01-00-, At the recommendation of the vintage committee, the SCTA board
voted against revising the current rules to allow the "Aftermarket" block.

The vintage committee did it's homework:

One of the French blocks was obtained, set beside an original and compared
in depth. Lots of statements provided were reviewed, including a metal
analysis. (It's not steel). As many as possible of the current record
holders and persons currently running in the XF and XXF classes were polled
by the committee.

While there are several positions concerning the possible advantages, or
lack of advantages of using the new block, the bottom line is that a
significant number of those persons polled were against allowing it's
use.Unless the vast majority of the XF and XXF community has no problem with
it, the vintage committee is not inclined to recommend that the rules be
revised to allow it's use.

Roy Creel
SCTA Vintage Committee Chair

There you have it. I have Roy's permission to include his email address so
you may add input, voice your opinions or add comments;
cree@networkone.net

Dan Warner