perspective on costs

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: perspective on costs
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:41:53 -0700
Hi
I have been gone for a few days, so forgive me if this subject had been run
into the ground.
What Wes Potter had to say about the task of running a landspeed event is
TRUE.
Even as strongly as Wes stated the situation, it is still not even possible
to accurately portray all the long hours that go into setting up and
running an event.
I am a pretty hard working sort of guy myself, but the hardest I work each
year is the week I spend at World of Speed.  There I work the longest hours
of the year by far, and often the heaviest manual labor of the year for me.
 I do what I can, and I see others that do even more.
There are always gonna be fixed costs that can't be avoided, insurance,
ambulance, porta pottys, and a dozen others.  Some folks can afford to pony
up extra cash to meet these needs, some can't.  If you are tight on
budgets, and are really sincere about wanting to want to help keep expenses
down, Here is the key.
OFFER TO WORK.  Pick an area of an event and learn what it takes to be a
REAL help.  Get involved.  If it is important that you keep your actual
cash outlay to a minimum, how about your TIME??  Before you think of
questioning the cost of running at an event, ask yourself, What have I done
to contribute to the operation of this event?  If the answer is nothing,
you can't complain about the cost.  There is an abundance of things that
anyone can do to contribute to reducing the costs of event operation, and
not all of them have to be done during the event itself, come early or stay
late.  The setup begins way before the racing, and the cleanup goes on long
after.  Call and offer yourself, we can use the help!  We will figure out
what your skills are and where you can do the most good.  VOLUNTEER.  Call
today.
Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.