A Honda 600 ! !

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: A Honda 600 ! !
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 06:17:18 -0800 (PST)
--- John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
wrote:
>     Off season news:
>
>     Sold the Chevette last month.  It's a '72
> Honda 600 sedan. Neat car

HONDA 600 ! !

Oh man, what memories that brings back.  When I
was visiting Vietnam a while back (1970) I went
to Hawaii on R&R and rented a Honda 600.  In
addition to other things that my (then) wife and
I had to do, we decided we wanted to drive on
every mile of road on the island.  We got a map,
a magic marker, and started driving.  By the end
of the third day we'd have to study the map, find
a stretch of road that hadn't been marked off,
head that way, and drive on it.  At the end of my
R&R, when we turned the car in, the guy looked at
the odometer and about choked to death.  He said
that in the twenty years that he'd been renting
cars in Hawaii, nobody had ever put even a small
fraction of that many miles on the car in one
week.   (I think we had something over 3,000
miles on the car.)  He asked me if I'd be willing
to have my picture taken with the car and allow
them to use it for advertising, in return for
free rental.  What GI wouldn't go for a deal like
that?  For the rest of my tour in 'Nam, guys
would come back from R&R in Hawaii and tell me
there was a big rental car poster with my picture
right there in the air terminal.

John, ya gotta let me take a picture next to your
car when you get it done - -just for old times sake!

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *
*         # 729           *