Re: Bonneville

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Bonneville
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:53:28 -0800
John, List,
   From the best calculations, 73 million tons.  That's the amount of
"surplus" salt which is left over from the potash "recovery" operations.
The restoration project model proposes a million five hundred thousand tons
returned to the racing surface each year.  From what I have learned the net
gain on the racing surface is one half of that amount.
   There is an aluminum re-cycling plant over there that eats tons of it,
it is shipped for road salt, things like that, but Reilly claims it is a
by-product of the mining.
   I do know one potential buyer of the Reilly plant is recovering salt from
the Great Salt Lake out west of Ogden, UT and had production figures on how
much salt Reilly shipped each year.  One problem is that you have to define
what we want as sodium chloride.  There are other "salts" like magnesium
chloride etc. over there and they may be defining things very narrowly.
   This November there were problems with the pumps and water supply so
pumping has been very limited.  Hope they have things worked out and can
pump a make up percentage in December.
Wes