Call 911 Salt Style

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Call 911 Salt Style
From: Cris Shearer <cshearer@tacisp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:08:58 -0700
Bonneville Racing News Oct/Nov 1994 if I recall, has a short story on
us.
First of all, Ed and I thank you all for such wonderful kind words.  You
might say we are "Speechless in Salt Lake City."  Its hard for us to
talk about ourselves, but I will write a few words while this magnetic
shield of friendship surrounds us.  We have no hammer stories or attic
ghosts that steal our tools, or motors hanging on the walls, but do know
for a fact, each and every one of you have a special place in our
hearts. Your friendship means a lot to us which is why we spend our
vacation at the far end of the course for the LSR events.  Glen said it,
we are his eyes and ears.  We have worked many positions over the 32 +
years we have been visiting the salt. I say 32 years because Ed took me
to see the salt flats shortly after we got married.  Loved it ever
since.  We eventually joined the Ut. Salt Flats Racing Assn.  We were
given the opportunity to work and help in all positions; course
stewards, timing, rovers, and fire and rescue, etc.  We put in many
hours and years dragging the course.  Ed and I took turns dragging and
eventually I was given my own truck. Probably the 1st woman dragger.
    We enjoyed working all areas of racing, but our niche was the fire
and rescue at the end of the long course.  We find great satisfaction in
serving you all where ever you turn off.  One speedweek we clocked 900
miles on our white Ford truck running up and down the course, making
sure everything is OK. Yes, there are people who are on fire and don't
realize it until we pull up.
    The cold wash cloths and water are always appreciated at the end of
the racer's run, especially after sitting on the starting line for
awhile.
    We feel a part of your success just being there for you over the
years.  We share in your excitement when you make a record, and cry with
you when you don't (and Keith, you were soooooo close).  Tears of joy
and sadness are hard to express in words.  Our biggest pleasure is
watching you come towards us, safe and fast and OK.
    Finally, for Malcolm Pittwood, Team Maximum Impulse, thank you for
remembering us and saying those kind words.  Believe me when we say it
was truly our pleasure and honor to assist you.  Thank you all again.
With this we will sit back and hope this message comes thru.
Thanks again,  Ed & Cris Shearer, Emergency Fire & Rescue.