November 1969 Hot Rod Magazine

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: November 1969 Hot Rod Magazine
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:23:27 -0800
I picked up the November 1969 issue of Hot Rod at a sidewalk sale a few
months back (aka "garage sale" in less urban environments). It had
extensive coverage of the "21st Annual Bonneville Speed Trials" including a
great cover shot of what looks like the starting line with Greg Peek
getting ready to set a 208.106 mph record in B/FR in a really nice roadster.

What's really impressive to me is a guy named Leo Payne who set a 196.512
mph record which included one run of 201 mph. Doesn't mention the class,
but it was a 79 inch motor in an unfaired Sportster. Pretty amazing. BTW,
he appears to be running Goodyear racing slicks. His name is listed along
with a few others in a review of "The Fastest Motorcycles on Earth". Anyone
know anything else about him?

Henry Deaton
Sunny San Francisco