Tow vehicles

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow vehicles
From: William McIntyre <acromac@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:20:46 -0800
Greetings to the list
In the early 60's,Don Garlits towed his fuel dragster on an open
trailer using a Surburban.He had built a plywood shelf from the rear
seat to the rear doors (5-6 ft).The shelf had some mattress pads and
blankets.His kids were about 7-8 at the time and could read,play
games,and sack out on this shelf.Under the shelf was a vertical space
of 14-15 inches where Don could stash tools,fuel cans,a spare 6-71
etc.He had a luggage rack on top that could handle 4 M&H tires.
Don toured the U.S.with this rig and he was the baddest of the bad in
top fuel.I remember seeing him and thinking "how nice that he has his
family with him".
Here in the Phoenix area,Carl Grimes raced a Fiat bodied altered coupe
(Buick powered as I recall).Carl had obtained a used,mid-sized school
bus as a tow vehicle.He made a set of doors at the rear of the bus and
with a set of ramps he could roll the Fiat up into the bus and head
out.
I have to relate an anecdote about towing to and from races.
One of our local racers in the early 60's,Dale Grantham,was returning
from S.California in the wee hours of Sunday nite.Dale and his crew
were between Indio and Blythe at 2:00 AM.It took almost full throttle
to maintain 55-60 MPH.The wind often blows quite strongly at nite in
the desert and they thought that they had encountered a very strong
head wind.A motorist pulled along side and with much honking of horns
and gesturing rearward finally got the racers to look out the rear
window.The pin had come out of the drag chute on Dale's top fuel
machine.They were dragging a 16 foot ring slot parachute thru the nite
air!!!
People who don't (or did not) race lead boring lives!!!!!
Bill McIntyre
--
Bill McIntyre
IAC 3269