maxton Traction

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, <RAWAWA@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: maxton Traction
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:05:52 -0600
If I could write in really small letters here I would... I guess I can say
something about Traction at Maxton from the semi fast side of the fence....

Traction is always limited by the tires you can run and the amount of Hp you
have to put through them... in our case we don't have alot of thread
width.... I think our max is about 8" with the 25.5's  so wheel spin is
really easy in the first couple gears... once your in 3rd or about 1/4mile
down track the car is Hooked up... and running hard... we do get spikes in
the tach graph from the concrete pads... but they aren't noticable in the
car... least I never feel them.

The Nitrous really doesn't blow off the tires unless we have a big load and
aren't above Peak torque when you hit the button... Which is a big NO NO
anyway....

On the Turbo Motor in Paul Chism's Jag.... it would spin the tires anywhere
on the course.. and it had 9" thread width... matter of fact it was spinning
the tires when I went through the lights at 2 bills...

In other words the concrete is fine.. and the traction isn't a big deal on
the tires we are running.... you just can't expect to hook up the chassis
like a drag car in the lower gears with this set up....

Someday someone is going to build a Maxton only car... designed to go fast
at Maxton... most of us with quicker cars are focused on Bonneville... and
worry about the salt  FIRST and use Maxton to tune up the combinations.

Keith