Re: Roadster vs Convertible

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster vs Convertible
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:48:34 EST
       Hello Bill H, Thanks for your interesting facts !   The thing that
surprised
me was the mention of a ' 37 Roadster !   I did not know there was a roadster
in 1937..... over the years several friends of mine had 37 converts, I had a
35
convert, and the 36 roadster is a treasure to most all of us old Ford fans .
        I have never even seen a 1937 roadster, but did see a 1936 Ford
fourdoor sedan with an  ALL STAINLESS STEEL body at one of the great
Hartford, CT  Autoramas back in the 60s .  It was one of the four sedans
built by the Allegheny Ludlum Steel Company for Ford Motor Co.  I have
heard that they encountered major problems trying to get the stainless to
conform to the dies, but they did accomplish it ....... DeLorean was NOT
the first to have stainless steel bodies !
       I believe all the statements by Keith, Johns Beckett & Backus, and
Dave Dahlgren on this thread are correct .   I think 39 Ford Ragtops were
the last ones to have a rumble seat ...... but could be wrong on that .
      Thanks for the facts ......
             Bruce
the BDF in this hemisphere