Re: Rear Engine Ts

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Engine Ts
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 11:17:19 -0800
John
The rear engine mod roadster I drove was at the first Bonneville meet in 49.
Several people were involved with the car over the years. Bob Fugatt bought the
car I believe in 1950. It was run at the lakes at Russetta and SCTA meets as
well as on the salt.

Some of the the names involved were Jack Stecker, Clark Cagle, Leroy Newmeyer,
Joe Maillard who I drove for in 1957 the only over 200 mph run the car ever
made. 217 mph and broke crank on the run. Leroy drove it to 193 mph a few years
befor. We are the only two that never spun the car.

I found the handling to be good when I let the car more or less pick it's own
path within reason. The car had very slow steering so if the driver was paying
attention it was easy to drive. I also run the car at the drags with no
problems.  With a fuel flat head, a gas flat and a injected fuel chrys. Clark
Cagle run it with an Ardun with some success. I also run the car on the
Riverside 1/2 mile with a flat head on gas and beat Jack Chrismans hi-boy with a
speed of 141 mph.

Today, with some safety changes I would get back in it today and make a pass.
The car was donated to Jim Lattens Museum in San Diego by Bob Fugatts son.In the
fifties none on us knew a lot about aerodynamics, weight placement, fast and
slow steering and getting the horsepower to the ground and keeping it straight.
The high boy roadsters probably spin as much or more then any other car.

Just my input on the rear engine roadsters.
Glen (wish I had one)