Re: APPLES & ORANGES and a WHOLE LOT of WELDING

To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Subject: Re: APPLES & ORANGES and a WHOLE LOT of WELDING
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:34:29 -0700
Like Rich, I was too too young for WWII, but I am old enough to remember
how the war effort changed our nation. For example, the small Alabama
town I grew up in housed a HUGE hospital (wood barracks) that housed
recovering wounded soldiers during the war. We played there as a kid
when they were abandonded. And yes, it was amazing how the war touched
all of industrial America. It changed our family as well as dad went off
to war, and having gotten through the "big one" got recalled for Korea
as well. It seems nobody was exempt from doing "their part". My original
comment was based on my (mistaken?) impression that Liberty Ships were
WWI sailing vessels. They were made of poared concrete which was a quick
way to get a ship's hull built. I have seen one of these concrete ships,
apparently scuttled, off the CA. coast in Los Gatos. Not knowing much
(enough) anout the history of such ships I was told it was a "Liberty
Ship". A correction by any of you "old Geezers" is welcome ;-)
Ed