tig welding

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: tig welding
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:05:15 EST
Some people don't relies is you don't need a big fancy welding machine to tig
weld on carbon and stainless steel. If you have a DC welder all you need is a
tig torch, a flow meter and a bottle of argon for shielding gas. Hook up the
tig torch to the negative side and ground with positive ( this is straight
polarity) and your ready to go. A 150amp air cooled torch is all you need to
weld carbon and stainless, most of the time 75 to 100amps will cover anything
in the shop. Now if you are going to weld aluminum that is another story. As
for gas welding, my dad who would be 95 if he was still alive could weld
anything you set in front of him 1/16 to 1 inch thick most people can weld
sheet metal together and think they are gas welders. Set some heavy plate and
watch them, this separates the men from the boys. He learned welding in the
oil fields in Oklahoma and went on as a pipe welder on construction. Just
about every thing was gas welded back them as electric welding was just
coming in 75 years ago. I can call myself a welder but not much good on gas.
I still have his torch set which is at least 65 years old. Larry Mac