Re: V-8 Engine Balancing

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: V-8 Engine Balancing
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:21:24 -0500
Balancing can and will take tons of stress out not hundreds
of pounds.. And the lighter the parts the less the stress.
If I was racing an engine with 3 mains i would own the
lightest stuff i could find..
1 gram is common place work now and has been for 20 years if
the shop is any good at all.
The trick with the 2 ends and error is to balance 1 end in
the fixture usually the big end if memory serves me right..
get them all the same the do a total weight to get the small
end.. swapping parts around ought to be a last resort for
me.. the best way to do it is pair up all the big ends for a
2 big end weight that is the same. then use the small end
weight difference to mix and match the different pistons..
then you can come up with a correct bob weight.
On the subject of bob weight it does not have to be a 50% of
reciprocating weight deal and depending on your rpm you may
want to go to 51 or 52%.. the real beauty of a 51% job is
later on if you have some new bob weight and it falls within
50% to 52% you are good to go with no rebalance on the
crank.
The real thing to remember is that the balance job is only
valid over an rpm range not from 0 to 9000 rpm. The higher
the RPM the more you have to look at more than 50% recip..
many slower turning engines are balanced at less than 50%
BTW.. On some of the small stuff i have worked on that
really turns up (10 to 13k rpm) i have used 54%.. I spent a
lot of time with the engineers and field guys at Stewart
Warner years ago on this very subject for Winston Cup
stuff.. if you are mathematically inclined there is a bunch
of good stuff that is written on this subject. I would
suggest Stewart Warner a good place to start for a suggested
reading list.
Hope this helps a bit
Dave Dahlgren