Re: Can you clarify

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Can you clarify
From: "Mike Jenkins" <MikeJ@speedrecordclub.softnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:13:01 -0000
Ugo & List,

I think you're about 99.9% right Ugo. The only thing I'm not sure of is that
I don't think the 332mph record that Jim Feuling set was an FIM record but a
Land Speed Authority (LSA) record. Assuming that they use the same
definitions as the FIM, a 'motorcycle' can have three wheels. The FIM define
three types of motorcycle depending on how many tracks it produces.

1.    What you or I would call a motorcycle (i.e. two wheels) produces one
track - in theory there is nothing stopping you from having three or more
wheels as long as they are in line. Could twin rear wheels be used to help
with traction perhaps?

2.    A motorcycle and sidecar producing two tracks

3.    A cyclecar producing three tracks - it is in this class that Feuling
ran.

As far as the Summers/Teague/Vesco thing goes you are spot on Ugo. I've
often wondered why Al hasn't publicised his kilo record more - 409 is very
impressive for one-engine and two-wheel drive but 425.050 is even more so!
As far as mile or kilo precedence goes, faster kilo records have often been
overlooked - one famous example of the opposite was in 1906 when Fred
Marriot did 127 for the mile and 121 for the kilo in the Stanley Steamer.
For some reason only the slower kilo record was recognised - probably to
show some pity on the competition who had been blown into the weeds!

Mike Jenkins

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]