Re: Roll Cage RULES??

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roll Cage RULES??
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:11:28 EST
In a message dated 01/23/2001 8:10:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kmb2@humboldt.edu writes:

<< Folks,

 Having read the rule book  :-), pgs 24~26 discuss
 roll cages and clearances.  We are installing a cage in a
 1985 Corvette for D/GT class:

 As I read it...
 3" MIN clearance from FRONT of helmet to the FRONT tube of roll cage.
 3" MAX clearance from Back of helmet to head rest.

 QUESTIONS:

 I didn't read anything about SIDE OF HEAD clearance
 to the tube that runs along the side (top) of the car.  That
 can be as close as we choose as long as the cage padding
 is in place. Is that correct?

 I didn't read anything about BACK OF HELMET to the tubes
 of the roll cage.  Again, allowing for cage padding, the
 roll cage tubes can be closer than the 3" which is the
 MAX distance for the head rest?

 Am I on the right track?

 KEN

Ken,
    I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that
the "3" MAX between the headrest padding and the back of the helmet" is
intended for cars with roll bars. If you have a roll cage the rear vertical
bars of the cage serve as the headrest, which with MOST rollcages would be
within 3" of the back of the drivers head/helmet.
    If you had a very deep cage wherein the cage protruded ahead of the
drivers helmet the required 3-4" and still gave more than 3" behind the
drivers head, then you might have to add a headrest within the cage.
    I don't believe that there are any restrictions regards MIN distance
between the drivers head and the side hoops of the rollcage..........Ardun
Doug King