Steam Powered Classes - how many?

To: "INTERNET:Want1937hd@aol.com" <Want1937hd@aol.com>,
Subject: Steam Powered Classes - how many?
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:12:06 -0500
Bob and the list.

To my knowledge the classes for steam number THREE in most sanctioning
bodies.

Steam driven automobiles are classified in FIA (and UK)  by weight of the
vehicle - up tp 500kg, 500kg to 1000kg and over 1000kg (unloaded weight).
If they use a reciprocating steam engine they are in FIA Group X.  If a car
has a  steam turbine it would also be possible to claim to run with the
other turbines in Group IX (hey, think of it  Steam vs Don Vesco !!).   You
may have read that the engineering designer of Thrust SSC, Glynne Bowsher
is working here in the UK on a steam turbine wheeldriven car to break
records.

Whilst there have been steam powered motorcycles on the highway, I do not
know of a class for steam bikes in any sanctioning body.  The UK Auto Cycle
Union has a sentence in their regulations which states for any special
construction two or three wheeled motorcycles - "Regulations governing the
classes in these groups to be issued as each case is presented".

Steam thrust power is just lumped in with all the other jets and rockets.
There have been a few steam rockets (as distinct from Hydrogen Peroxide
powered rockets which form steam) built around the world. Walt Arfons built
a dragster for Bob Tatroe.  A swiss team has one on a go-kart (extended
wheelbase and three axles).  Kneivel's 'Skycycle's' each had them as well.
NASA were going to use steam for a satellite space launch with the energy
created by heating the side of the rocket with a tracking laser.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.  (who got to drive a Stanley steam car
buily about 1906 in 1992).

pps. There are other members of the Speed Record Club who are even better
at knowing about speed record trivia.  I haven't won a quiz for three or
more years.