Supercharging SBC and little hemis? ? HELP!

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Supercharging SBC and little hemis? ? HELP!
From: Skip & Joyce Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:27:10 -0600
For Doug who knows about little hemis.  For Keith
and John B who talked me through most of this
SBC.  For somebody who knows about blown SBCs,
here's my situation.  This Camaro that I'm
running is what I call a stepping stone to the
car that I really want - and am in the process of
building.  What I have now is a small block Chev
with flat top pistons, 882 heads w/76cc chambers
yielding about a 9.5:1 compression ration,
breathing through a 288/298 .50/.52 Crane solid
lifter cam.  The obvious next step should be a
set of good heads to improve both flow and CR.

I need to keep economics in mind, so I don't want
to buy expensive stuff that will only be used on
the stepping stone.  For the roadster, I will use
a 241 Dodge hemi.  I talked a lot with Dan
Hostetter, who really knows lil Dodge hemis, and
he says that the Dodge will not flow more than
about 450 CFM cause everything is so small.  I
want to use a supercharger on the Dodge.  I'm
thinking about a centrifugal supercharger
(Paxton) and a good two barrel carb.  With the
Dodge's stock 7.5 CR, it ought to make a neat
little motor.  If I use a jimmie, I'll have to
have a custom intake made, and it will stick way
up out of the roadster's hood.  The Paxton will
be a lot cheaper, will huff the Dodge to it's max
anyway, and will all fit under the hood.

If I go ahead and get the Paxton now and use it
on the stepping stone Camaro, do you think that
the Paxton will raise the SBC current estimated
output of 400HP to 500HP?  I know that Dart heads
and some nitrous would easily do that, but I
would rather spend my money on parts that I'm
going to keep.

I'd like to see 200 MPH one time at Bonneville
before I go to the big track in the sky, and I
figure the Camaro is the most likely candidate to
get me there, and a tic over 500 HP should be
what it takes.
Will the blower get me there?

Comments, ANYBODY ? ?

=====