STOCK CAR RACING SPECIAL ON THE TUBE

To: dwarner@electrorent.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: STOCK CAR RACING SPECIAL ON THE TUBE
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:11:10 EST
     Dan, List : There is a special coming up on Saturday evening, Feb 17,
on the History of Stock Car Racing ..... it will be on either the History
Channel or the Discovery Channel ..... not sure at the moment, but I will
find out .  The previews I' ve seen show the early era when the flatheads,
and early OHVs, too, would thunder down the paved road that was the
southbound straightaway, broadslide thru the sand dune turn, and then
stand on it on the smooth sand of the northbound leg, right next to the
ocean surf, and again sliding, wallowing, and often flipping right over
the embankment of the north turn ..... This was the famed Beach Course
at Daytona in the years prior to 1959, when the high banked Speedway
became the first of many super speedways to come .
     It looks like it will be a great program ...... not sure if it' s one or
two hours ...... but eager to see those scenes from the early fifties,
when our weekend thrills were at the paved short track "bullrings"
that were so prevalent here in the Northeast !
     Yes ..... the SOUND was there for all of us to hear .....
NO  Borla or Lobak mufflers on the track then ..... just
the  SHEER  SYMPHONY of thirty or forty V8s slugging it out
lap after lap ..... RAPTURE on a hot summer night !!!
      Watch for this special ..... just over two weeks from now
..... documenting one part of our fantastic racing heritage !

           Bruce
also recalling the SOUND of a full field of injected big blocks
on the rampage ..... that came in the SIXTIES !!!