ARNIE B. COMMENTS ON ANTHONY J.' s RECORD

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: ARNIE B. COMMENTS ON ANTHONY J.' s RECORD
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:36:40 EST
Subj:   Re: FAIRLY FAST FOYT
Date:   2/12/01 10:52:33 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:    squarerollbars@yahoo.com (a.b. shuman)
To:    FastmetalBDF@aol.com

At 10:01 AM 2/11/01 -0500, you wrote:

> :
> Subj: A J TRAVELING in TEXAS CIRCLES
> Date: 1/29/01 7:47:18 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From: FastmetalBDF
> To: Flowbench, kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
>

>            Mike,  The record A J set on that Texas track was the
>             WORLD' S  CLOSED  COURSE  SPEED  RECORD
> ...... which was also held by the late Lee Roy Yarbrough in a Mopar
> motivated Nascar type stock car at one time ....... and also held at
> another time by Don Garlits' old partner : Art " Green Kid " Malone,
> driving Bob Osiecki' s Indy car powered with a blown / injected Hemi
> Chrysler, and short winglike spoilers on each side for downforce to
> put those pressurized Chizler ponies to the pavement .....
>       That Quad Four was making some horsepower ..... and had
> long studs keeping both the head and crankshaft girdle from
> divorcing that four cylinder block !   As for the driver .....
> his record  SPEAKS  FOR  ITSELF ......
>                                          A  TRUE  LEGEND .
>     NO  Two Club Record or Blue hat / Red hat that day ......
>                          JUST  the World' s Closed Course Speed Record .
>
>           BDF

Bruce,
Jim Fueling built the engine (based on the GM Quad Four) for the Aurora
streamliner Foyt drove. Bob Tarozzi (in CCSRB) has been working on a project
with him for some time, by the way. Fueling is also suing MB for allegedly
steeling his 3-valve cyl. head design.
The Aurora's mark may have been bettered by runs in Indy cars (2,65-liters,
turbo'd on alky) with the 240-plus laps drivers like Mo Gugelmin have turned
at California Speedway.  But, I forget exactly what A.J. turned. Maybe 270? A
Mercedes streamliner with a turbo'd stock-block 4.5-liter V8 (driven by a guy
I know) made four laps of the Nardo (Fiat) test rack in Italy  at about 250
mph in 1978. BTW, we passed south of Ft. Stockton, where the Aurora's runs
were made on our ways to and from the Winternationals within the past two
weeks, so were thinking about AJ and his records at the time. Telepathy?

A.B..