Re: front suspension and rule book

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front suspension and rule book
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 04:34:39 -0800
Dave, see below
     ----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 3:18 AM
Subject: front suspension and rule book

> When will the rule book be out and how do i get a copy
> before Bonneville where I usually buy one. Living in CT it's
> not like a copy is at the local Barnes & Noble,

This is not a new rule it is in the current book. You can buy a new rule
book, as soon as they become available at the SCTA/BNI web site on line.

> Is there anyone willing to explain the a-arm legality and
> how it pertains to lakesters and streamliners? I have asked
> questions and gotten 1 word responses. maybe telling me not
> to ask the question at all.

Evidently you missed Dan Warner's post on this subject. There is nothing in
the rule book outlawing A arm indipendant SUSPENTION. The proscribed design
is a solid mount like currently in use on the front of rear engined
dragsters in the NHRA. The rule was instituted after several failures one of
which I believe involved a fatality.

>I have been working out some
> suspension ideas for a car that involves a-arms and
> independent front suspension and independent rear
> suspension. These will be sprung with coil over shocks. Will
> also be of robust construction similar to Nascar and Indy
> car stuff as we have not decided on spindles yet.  Are there
> any reasons why this construction method is a problem? If so
> please state what is legal and what is not and if any
> difference for lakester or streamliner.

As several people on the list have pointed out in the past, on page 12 of
the current rule book there is a name and address to which you may
correspond regarding the rules or specific technical or safety questions.

> I can understand why things should be built to stand the
> stresses and was not thinking of anything super lightweight
> or unsprung. I was hoping to introduce technology that has
> been available since the 40's though..

Many special construction cars use indipendant suspention at all four
corners, you wont be pioneering anything new.

> I was also hoping to build a suspension that is adjustable
> in respect to roll centers to affect the handling and forces
> involved both lateral and vertical.
>
> I am also hoping to avoid all the problems with handling
> related to straight axles and be able to isolate any wheel
> disturbances to the corner of the car rather than the entire
> end of the car.

The above is all well and good Dave, but you need to address the thought
that you may be trying to solve a problem that dosen't exist for cars going
in a straight line.

> If you find this question offensive please just hit the
> delete key...

Same applys to this response.