Kiwi story

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Kiwi story
From: brian falkner <falken@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:20:28 +1300
Around 1967/68 I was with a few HotRodding mates heading for the Nelson
Beach races in the upper South Island..still lots of Flathead specials
running then..We were in a Volkswagen from my mates car yard when the
throttle cable broke..50 miles from destination, what the heck do we do
now?..a little Kiwi ingenuity required..this Flathead trained mechanic [me]
locks the linkage in wide-open-self-destruct-mode..was it No/ 8
wire?...dont remember?, and away we go...yes I did it...so I drive!. Some
coordination along with sobriety a must!...start er up turn key off before
peak revs shift into 1st turn key on & let clutch out at approximate same
time as revs build up accellerate at breathtaking speed turn key off shift
into 2nd..shit! who's steering? quick mate!, NO! I'll do the gear stick YOU
do the round thing!, shit again!..traffic lights!..slip it outa gear turn
key off..on..off...on..get strange feeling people are watching me..look
into vehicle alongside with cool dudes laughing at the wanker in the
Beetle.........................

Just remembered driving more than a few cars with a seized or inoperable
clutch link through Wellington City..our Capital..its great until those
bloody traffic lights!..put into 1st let clutch out push starter
button/turn key pig jump until momentum takes over from starter give
fingers to impatient cretins behind match speed with 2nd gear requirement
aaaaaaah its almost like sex! the perfect gear change..every time...yeah
right!

Great memories!..I got more if you like..I enjoy this.

Brian