Re: British to Bonneville in 2001 and 2002

To: "Malcolm Pittwood" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: British to Bonneville in 2001 and 2002
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:57:58 -0600
I spent a couple of hours in 98 checking out the Car Malcolm... First class
effort but it wasn't ready to race.... Andy Green and I hung out and talked
about flying.... nice guy... he was friends with one of my pals who is your
BEST helicopter Pilot.... another character... Blue Anderson...

I wish them the Best of luck.... K
----------
> From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
> To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Subject: British to Bonneville in 2001 and 2002
> Date: Thursday, February 22, 2001 2:26 PM
>
> List
>
> The following information may not be 100% accurate but it should be of
> interest to all racers.
>
> MG Rover - the company formed after BMW were forced to sell Rover - are
> get the EX255 car back to the salt.  As you all know it got to Wendover
in
> '98 but did not run under power.  In 2001 it is hoped that this modified
> MGF sportscar will go 255 with 1000 bhp (sea level I guess) V8 power.
> Whilst endorsed by the Company this was a project led by the talented
> workforce.  The first MGF built made 217 mph with its smaller turbo motor
> and US driver.
>
> The news for 2002 revolves around a desire to attempt to attain the
fastest
> wheeldriven World Record with a totally new car.  Al Teagues 409 mph is
the
> target to beat (now) - it may be higher in 2002 of course.  The reports
so
> far talk of running in August 2002.  Speedweek does not yet hold two way
> FIA runs so that may just be using it as a warm up event prior to the
World
> Finals.
>
> This bid could be a corporate backed attempt and would be a return to the
> attempts of the pre war era by MG and Austin Healey.  No news on
driver(s).
>  Andy Green had the job in '98 but he has not been mentioned yet.
>
> Just to complete the cross atlantic links - Lola Cars the maker of Indy
Car