Quiet - roadsters and Camaros

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Quiet - roadsters and Camaros
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:24:53 -0800 (PST)
The most exciting thing I get on my E-Mail in the
last two hours is a Harbor Freight Tool Sale ? ?
?  Come on, people, what's happening here?

Following John Beckett's strong advice, I undid
my roadster frame this weekend and am putting
suspension on for Maxton.  I read a thing in one
of Tex Smith's books about how overlooked the VW
bug double transverse torsion bar set-up was for
hot rod roadsters, so I picked one up.  I
recalled from another life in another place, when
I played with VWs and dune buggies, how complete
and simple these set-ups were. A nice side
benefit of these set-ups is that you get the
whole front suspension, including steering and
shocks, all in one piece.  Hell, if it was good
enough a front suspension for Porsche to win half
a zillion races in the fifties and sixties, it
ought to work out on my roadster.  Once I get the
front end sorted out, I will put higher kickups
on the rear of the frame and will go with double
trailing links and coilovers. Since I'm cutting
and welding anyway, I'm going to stretch the
wheelbase a little, prolly out to about 120 -
130, then run it as a modified roadster instead
of a street roadster.  One thing I like about a
modified roadster in lieu of the street roadster
is that I can fabricate a firewall far enough
under the hood area that I can get my body down
out of the wind without putting my knees against
my chin ( which at my age and size is not simple
feat).

Meanwhile, back to work on the Camaro, 'cause
that's what's track-ready right now.  I take it
to the front end alignment shop at lunchtime
today, then all that's left is to put the new cam
in.

=====
Dick J
In East Texas